Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you Writing now?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 06:28 PM   #591 (permalink)
Oriphiel
Ask me how!

I get deep into character and plot development as well. Length has never really been a gauge of quality or passion for me. Some of the most meaningful stories I've written, and some of the characters that I've loved writing the most, were created, fleshed out, and finished in just one sitting.

It's not the difficulty that puts me off of writing novels. Even though I'm obviously more comfortable with writing short stories, they can be much more difficult to master than long form work. You can't just ramble and traipse, keeping the audience's attention with a few good moments here and there while they drudge through wankery. And you can't use standard plot/character devices to hook people, because they stand out like beacons without a big fat cushion of filler to dilute them. Every sentence, every word, has to be perfect, or the whole thing falls apart. There's no time for bullshit, and no room for error. Even if you're writing purely for yourself. Hell, you more than anyone will smell the bullshit.

What puts me off of novels is that I could have told twenty stories, each equally important to me, in the time that it took to finish just the one. To me, drawing out a story when it doesn't absolutely demand it is... well, like I said before, a bit insane. But if that's your kind of crazy, more power to you.

Also, lol at myself for writing more than you in my love letter to brevity.
-----------------------------
|---Deafbox Industries---|
-----------------------------
Oriphiel is offline   Reply With Quote