Music Banter - View Single Post - What are you Writing now?
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #592 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post

It's not the difficulty that puts me off of writing novels. Even though I'm obviously more comfortable with writing short stories, they can be much more difficult to master than long form work. You can't just ramble and traipse, keeping the audience's attention with a few good moments here and there while they drudge through wankery. And you can't use standard plot/character devices to hook people, because they stand out like beacons without a big fat cushion of filler to dilute them. Every sentence, every word, has to be perfect, or the whole thing falls apart. There's no time for bullshit, and no room for error. Even if you're writing purely for yourself. Hell, you more than anyone will smell the bullshit.

What puts me off of novels is that I could have told twenty stories, each equally important to me, in the time that it took to finish just the one. To me, drawing out a story when it doesn't absolutely demand it is... well, like I said before, a bit insane. But if that's your kind of crazy, more power to you.
Exactly my approach and difficulty with writing a novel. When I write, most lines take at least ten minutes each during the rough draft process alone because I want it to sound good, have meaning(s), and be concise. Carrying that across a whole novel not only sounds intense, but it also sounds like a lot of work for the readers because my process makes my writing pretty thicc.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote