Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #668 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Today at work I was again thinking about how cool Judge Dredd is and playing Anthrax's "I Am the Law" on repeat in my head (I've been reading more Dredd over the last two days) and for the second time it has made me misty-eyed like the weirdest nerd. Cause who the **** cries over Judge Dredd?

Currently reading The Complete Case Files vol. 24, which includes "The Pit", which I've been chomping at the bit to read ever since I read about how it expands on Judge judicial processes, and the preceding progs in the volume have reignited my interest in modern Dredd after kind of losing interest upon reading "America". Judge Dredd is simply the bestest. Whenever the new Mega-City One show comes out on Netflix I will most definitely binge watch it on day one.

I've even drunkenly ordered the Dredd movie on Amazon after realizing that my downloaded version's audio doesn't work on my Chromebook. One of those drunk purchases I don't even regret a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Controversy[edit]
The Cursed Earth caused a lawsuit involving the publishers of 2000 AD, McDonald's, Burger King, and the Jolly Green Giant. Four episodes in the series, written by John Wagner and Jack Adrian, featured trade marked characters used without permission.[2] One storyline depicted wars between rival gangs, headed by the Burger King and Ronald McDonald – including scenes of Ronald executing a gang member who spilled a milkshake. The owners of these characters objected to the use of their trademarks and sued. Publishers IPC settled out of court, publishing a half-page retraction and agreeing never to reprint the offending episodes.[3]
In 2014 the law was changed to implement a European directive on copyright law allowing the use of copyright-protected characters for parody.[4][5] As a result, Rebellion Developments announced in 2015 that it would re-publish the suppressed episodes for the first time in a book to be published in July 2016.[6]
I'm planning on buying some Dredd Case Files TPBs soon, and I'm considering whether to start with vol. 2, as it contains the censored version of The Cursed Earth, or whether to go with the Cursed Earth TPB as it contains those copyright snafu progs. Vol. 2 also has The Day the Law Died, which I'm stoked to read, so I clearly need that, but I also need the other TPB as well to have the complete Cursed Earth run. Maybe I'll just get vol. 5 first as it has Block Wars and The Apocalypse War, which I've yet to finish. So many choices.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote