Music Banter - View Single Post - Last album you bought, downloaded or listened to
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #26436 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle salty View Post
Yea, I love Maiden, but I'm not blindly loyal enough to think everything they do in masterful.

I agree with you about the interminably long intros & outros. On Final Frontier, that whole Satellite 15 thing could be completely erased, When The Wild Wind Blows & The Man Who Would Be King would be better served stripped down to 1/2 their length.

In fact, the 2nd half of the album's songs are bloated, indulgent affairs that a casual listener would easily be turned off by.

Heck, I'm a hardcore fan, and those cuts rarely, if ever, make it on to any Maiden playlists on my Ipod. (I change them up every so often)

Also, being a diehard, I probably give new stuff more of a chance to absorb than the passing listener.

I am really loving Book Of Souls. but it didn't start catching until the 3rd-4th listen. Now, 6 of the first 7 cuts are ones I really like, but, like The Final Frontier, the second half loses any kind of momentum the first half brings.

Dickinson on piano for the 18 minute 'Empire Of The Clouds?' Wow, talk about your ego-driven offal.

Anyhow, regardless of any of that, you gotta give this band some credit. 38 years since their first album, and they're still doing world tours.

And I don't mean club dates. These cats are selling out arenas and stadiums.
It's great that the band stll wants to do this and it's great that so many people are still excited about what they do. I've probably got a similarly forgiving attitude towards new Megadeth material. I keep listening, even if it's not as great as it used to be.

When it comes to Iron Maiden, Empire of the Clouds sort of encapsulates what I feel about their post-Brave New World output. I want to like it and I see the ambition, but I can't stop groaning with boredom :/
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote