Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #2069 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Condolences
Artist: Wednesday 13
Genre: Punk/Heavy Metal/Goth Rock
Nationality: American
Release date: June 2
Position in Discography: Seventh
Estimated Rating:

Have I heard of this artist? No
Average RYM Score: 2.79
I guess this is the kind of thing Batty would call “goofy”, kind of like Alice Cooper doing Diablo Swing Orchestra, with a side order of Theater des Vampires. In other words, goth rock/metal that's hard not to laugh at, even if the music is basically decent. “Blood Sick” is just so catchy you can't help singing along - “And there's no way you're getting out alive..” Class. Not quite, but definitely has something. The shredding on “You Breathe, I Kill” (though it kind of seems to come out of nowhere and vanish as quickly) is pretty cool, but there is no way you can take this music seriously. I don't think you're meant to. I hope you're not. You can't be, can you? Listen to the lyric (as such) to the hilarious (I hope!) “Cruel to You” - “I just want to hurt you/Beat you black and blue/ I just want to be so cruel to you.” Uh, yeah. It's also a damn catchy song.

As is “Lonesome Road to Hell”, one of the real standouts to be honest. Really rocks along and it's just infectious. The title track then has a sort of Doom Metal feel to it, very dark and grinding, sombre and ominous, and yeah, pretty good too. Though it's a little (a lot) comical in ways, this is decent enough music and I think I'm more interested than I thought I would be at the start.
Check out more from this artist? You know, I just might
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating: