Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #2083 (permalink)
josht23musiclover
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Well first I'll say that I don't find him to be as inventive as he's made out to be because he expounded on and refined well-established styles as opposed to inventing his own. The kind of attitude towards music that zeroes in on inventiveness didn't really take off until after World War II, mostly because of advances in communication. Music was more of a one-time experience for most audiences during Beethoven's time, so it's not that crazy for Aphex Twin to have a higher caliber of inventiveness since he's been heavily influenced by John Cage and he also had the benefit of continued advances in music technology.

As far as Beethoven being overrated, I say that because he's one of the big 3 names in classical music that your average person can (consciously) name: Beethoven, Mozart, and Bach. So I guess fair play to TH on calling out that discogs comment as being ignorant. I do find Beethoven's music to be a bit bloated, but that doesn't strip away the context and I still hold him in high regard. I think he's within the top 15 composers of all time, but I feel that there are far more worthy contestants for the top 5 classical composers.
I guess I can't argue with what you say, as my gut would like me to, as I am not as familiar with some music as much as I should be in order to reasonably argue. The only thing I can say is that from what I know about the music before Beethoven to some of the things he did, it's as seismic a shift in music as I have heard (except maybe Le Sacre du printemps).

EDIT: I changed my mind about something I wrote. I simply need to listen to more.

Last edited by josht23musiclover; 03-11-2018 at 11:28 AM.
josht23musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote