Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Computer Tech Support Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 06:19 PM   #1886 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Okay. This is news to me. While we're on the subject, do you get the annoying "new update available" screen constantly from MWB? I keep getting it, downloaded, installed and it STILL keeps hinting at me. If you know how to disable/sort that I'd be in your debt.

Yeah I'm on Windows 7, so I still have MSE. You reckon AVG bloats out the resources? I could do with a little more speed for sure. If I disable it, then MSE and MWB are adequate protection?
I disable MWB all together until needed and then update the virus database before a scan.

You only need to have MSE (in your case) running. Anything else is just just overkill and will battle for system resources. Also, make sure you're up to date on your security patches, since a lot of that legacy stuff is susceptible to viruses with the old architecture.

I've never totally trusted the MSE, or Windows Defender, which is why I use it as well as MWB, but not at the same time. The Windows stuff is good, but if one doesn't catch something the other more than likely will. It's just a system with safe catches that has worked through the years.