Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart Listens to Every Album on Wiki's List for 2017
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 PM   #2105 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Album title: Chuck
Artist: Chuck Berry
Genre: Rock and Roll/Chuck Berry
Nationality: American
Release date: June 9
Position in Discography: Twentieth and final
Have I heard of this artist? I may have heard of him, all right...
Have I heard anything by this artist? Of course
Average RYM Score: 3.19
Hold on a moment! Are you ****ing serious? I was just about to pass this, assuming it was yet another collection/retrospective, but then I read it's Berry's last album, released just before his death in 2017! Christ! The man was NINETY and STILL recording! There's a reason why he is, and deserves the title of being, a rock legend, even THE rock legend. Ratings have been suspended for this album, for obvious reasons. Your feet develop a life of their own without any input from you, from the first track and you're transported back to the 1950s, to the heyday of rock and roll. I guess really this album kind of defies or transcends review, and I doubt I'm either equal to the task nor have the right to do so, so all I'll say is that it's great to hear he had it right up to the end, throwing in rock (“Wonderful Woman”), blues (“You Go To My Head”, “Darlin'”), a little island music (“Jamaica Moon”), even spoken word (“Dutchman”) as well as keeping his trademark sense of humour (“3/4 Time (Enchiladas)”). He even has a look back to his classic with an update in “Lady B. Goode”. There's nothing more I can say. Rest in Peace, Chuck: the world of music, and especially the world of rock, owes you a debt it can never repay.
Check out more from this artist? Yes
Check out more from this genre or subgenre? Yes

Actual Rating:
Unassailable.