Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Queen of the Wave" by Pepe Deluxé
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Probably the strangest album I've heard yet. It even had an album trailer?

Pepe Deluxé - Queen of the Wave (album trailer)

The album started with this warble UFO or SONAR sound - whatever it is suppose to be - interestingly enough that was done before on other albums. Compare this to the effect used on the first songs on the albums Based on a True Story by Fat Freddy's Drop (2005) or Flying Away by Smoke City (1997). The little flute passage reminds me of Spill the Wine by Eric Burdon and War. Then it goes into a break beat and distorted guitar, which is pretty much every other 90s song.

The second song gets kinda Smash Mouth.

The third song is not the Supersonic you are thinking of by J.J. Fad. It entirely different to that song. It starts off like The Like, and goes into 90s pop something like Aqua or BEP - a better example is on the tip of my tongue, if only I could think of name. The promo video even takes the zaniness of Pepe Deluxéa step further with a infomercial sales pitch dubbed over the song.

Pepe Deluxé - Go Supersonic

Temple of Unfed Fire has The Millenium written all over it, a bit of mish-mash of their songs.

Contain Thyself starts off somewhere between Baroque Rock & Acid Folk, then a Styx keyboard is added and then it goes off the tracks with more break beats and other nonsense.

I guess you can say they go off the tracks quite a bit during the album. It seems they are more intent in smashing different genres together than making a cohesive song. But I guess that is the whole underlying idea. So between liking some segments of the songs, and not caring for others I really don't know what to think of this album. I didn't like the Surf guitar parts, it was too pastiche, too over produced for my taste. However iI did capture my attention and I played the album straight throw on YouTube, but I suspect the playlist didn't contain the album's proper tracklist. So I have to replay it on Spotify. The first time was bizarre, I guess the second listen (plus) I won't so surprised by all the changes. It was weird experience, and I always wonder "who, what, why, and how?" with Ant's picks. Never heard the band before, and I don't know if I would ever give this album a listen if I wasn't forced to listen to it cause of the Album Club.

It was somewhere between so-so and likable.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards

Last edited by Neapolitan; 03-15-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote