Music Banter - View Single Post - The WWII Thread
Thread: The WWII Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #74 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
though correct when isolated as a moral quandary and mostly responsible for the Good Guys Vs. Bad Guys narrative that's followed ever since, WWII shouldn't be removed from the context of WWI whereby the Germans were treated terribly unjust in the aftermath
I know that. That's why I said the Allies created the means for Hitler to do what he did. I'm not disputing that, and I'm far from exonerating the Allies from blame or calling them the good guys. In war, there really are no good guys. But, given that that had happened anyway, my point to OH was, what would he have done to counter the Nazi threat? You can go centuries back in history and link one war to another, back to Rome and beyond. But you can't rewrite or change history, so given that that's where we were in 1939, I'm asking for his take on what was done. It's not enough, in my opinion, to just say "oh that was bad. I wouldn't have done that." You need to have an alternative solution or plan, otherwise you kind of have to accept that going to war was the lesser of two evils. Evil, sure, but the lesser of the two, and better than allowing Nazi Germany to rule the world.