Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #112 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I'm still not checking out much new music. The last few weeks, I've been all about coming back to stuff that I've been a fan of for a while. I've got so many CD's and so much music on my hard drive that deserves more attention. I find that my appreciation of music deepens when I'm intimately familiar with it, so it's really rather counter productive to focus all my energy on listening to new things. It's a question of balance.

So, what I'm going to do now is post a bunch of tracks that I've been enjoying coming back to. Some of this is from my CD collection, some of this is from my folders filled with odds and ends.

Elvenstorm - Legions of Steel

Some power/heavy metal band that I know very little about. I've never managed to find one of their CD's, but I have a few tracks on my PC that I ripped from Youtube some years back. It's hard to explain why I like it, because at the face of it, it's almost identical to a whole lot of similar metal that I easily dismiss as being uninteresting. I just like the vibe of this band for some reason.

Sharron Kraus - Brigid

Genre whiplash!
I never got around to checking out Sharron Kraus any closer, but I've known a few of her tracks for years and have them on my HD. This one is drop dead gorgeous. If low key 60's/70's folk is your thing, you absolutely need to give this one a close, concentrated listen.
Actually, her music is quite new. This track is from a 2008 album, but holy hell does it sound convincingly of another time. Didn't have much luck finding this album on CD, but I haven't tried again in recent years.

Ani Difranco - Icarus

I got into Ani DeFranco just a bit earlier this year and I've got to say that I used to underestimate her quite a bit. This song is from Evolve - an album that has impressed me very, very much. One of the best albums that I've discovered so far in 2018. I love the use of horns on this album and all of the instruments and voices just sound amazing. Top quality music.

Dir En Grey - Obscure (live at Download festival 2013)

This band has been a constant fixture of my music listening since I discovered them back in 2011. Recently, I've been looking for good live versions of their tracks and there's something about the energy and sound of this one that I really like. I also like how the singer drops the silly costumes for this festival. He should make it a habit.

Lady Gaga - Perfect Illusion

Been listening to my Lady Gaga albums as well and I've got to say that I think she's great. So many great hooks and a killer voice. This song encompasses everything I like about her music.

EDIT: Originally, I had posted Lady Gaga's song Venus, but then I realized I'd posted it in another context one page back... Perfect Illusion is another great track, so I'm going with that one instead.

Last edited by MicShazam; 03-21-2018 at 03:37 PM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote