Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 01:35 PM   #10503 (permalink)
Isbjørn
cooler commie than elph

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I’m sure you’re right. My fear is if Norway doesn’t protect its cultural identity by maintaining some degree of homogeneity the world is going to lose something precious. All of Scandinavia is special because you’ve modeled a way of life that’s relatively sustainable. You don’t have to absorb the rest of the world. If they want to live in a country like Norway they need to create one where they’re at. You guys have educated yourselves and adopted peaceful ways. And that’s with Russia eager to get up your ass. You’ve worked hard to make Norway what it is. I hate to see you lose it. Without being hateful I encourage you to protect what you’ve accomplished.
The welfare state is not just for white people, man. Scandinavian countries have a high standard of living because of favorable circumstances in the global economy (Norway found oil when the oil price was high) and an organized labor movement. The real threat to Norwegian society is not immigration, but Tories, and the European Union softening up labor laws.

And I mostly don't give a **** about preserving cultural homogeneity in Norway. The only reason one can talk about ethnic homogeneity in Norway (and Sweden!) is because Norwegians and Swedes colonized Sápmi and brutally assimilated native people. Besides, Norwegians have always been in contact with different cultures, including in Europe and the Middle East. The notion of a "pure Nordic identity" doesn't go further back than the 1800s.

But all this talk of preserving cultures and ethnicities is a digression from what really matters. The capitalist rulers want us to fight along ethnic and cultural lines. We need to leave aside those differences, toss away cultural chauvinism and unite on the basis of class struggle. In the long run, Norwegian workers, Polish workers and Somali workers have the same interests - an end to capitalism and imperialism. I know plenty of immigrants who are committed to preserving the welfare state, and Norwegians who are actively tearing it down and making society worse for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
he's already in college that's the actual difference
Lmao
Isbjørn is offline   Reply With Quote