Music Banter - View Single Post - Album Club: Freight Train and Other North Carolina Folk Songs - Elizabeth Cotten
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 05:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Elizabeth Cotten-Rainbow Quest Tv Show
^ Yes, thanks for posting this interesting video, Neapolitan; it's one that gives a clear idea of "Libba's" serene personality. I love at one point when she says about her employer, "She kept a guii-tar on the kitchen door, hanging."

Another nice thing about your clip is that it led me to another clip where I learned that E.C. was born in 1895. That's 123 years ago! I also discovered to my surprise that she wrote "Shake it, sugaree." This is a delightful song, though I prefer the version by Fred Neil:-

( Read more about Fred Neil here:- http://www.musicbanter.com/country-f...led-album.html )

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
The songs on this album are numerous, but very short. I've got to say that I found this configuration a mercy, since each individual song doesn't necessarily have many different parts or much development.
^ That's a really neat remark, MicShazam!

Quote:
... both the kind of folk that I do like, plus some singer/songwriter artists draw on a lot of these kinds of old folk music styles, but transformed and combined with multitudes of other influences. So perhaps I feel like this is a bit too much like going back to basics for me. Just like I - many apologies - just cannot listen to 50's Rock'n'roll and not feel somewhat bored by it.
^ Yes, we can hardly blame Elizabeth Cotton for the fact that the music industry has moved on beyond anything she could imagine, but also we can't put our modern sensibilities aside. I noticed it even in the Pete Seeger clip: seventeen minutes of sedate, undramatic tv of the kind that no post-MTV station would transmit today afaik.

Quote:
Plus something Neapolitan said a while ago made me think. I really do tend to crap on Album Club albums more often than not, don't I?
EDIT: Lo and behold, I voted after posting and I'm the only one to go so low. I swear I'm not actively trying to be a party pooper. It's just my nature.
^ Yeah, if I was a reg member of this club, I would've told you straight by now, "If you don't like our music, clear out and start your own club you miserable b*stard!"