Music Banter - View Single Post - Everyone hates symphonic metal
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 01:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiomara View Post
God... For a period of about 4 months, when I was 16 or so-- and weirdly this was after my death metal phase-- I was suddenly and inexplicably into Therion, Within Temptation and After Forever (and also some cheesy folk metal). I partly blame the people I was around at that time, though; they all listened to awful music.

Really-- I want you all to take a moment and imagine being trapped in a van with five extremely smelly stringy-haired teenagers (all dressed in various Tim Burton related merch from Hot Topic) blasting Dragonforce for three hours so that they could go LARP in the woods behind someone's uncle's trailer. (And not even proper LARPing. They'd just hit each other with foam swords while occasionally quoting Inuyasha or whatever. Oh, and after that? After that they'd sit around a fire and discuss their otherkin-related feelings. One time, this girl's boyfriend was kicked out of their little fireside gathering in a hilariously melodramatic fashion after he tried to pass off some fantasy novel's plot as his own life story. Which they somehow didn't realize right away. They were all, "Oh.. my god... Everything makes sense now. We were Chosen. We were all brought together to do this..." They totally believed it 100% until one of them recognized it as a plot in some terrible book involving a prophecy or something.)

My musical tastes made absolutely no sense back then, though, so I feel I should be forgiven. (Occasionally I'll come across some ancient mix CD I made and it'll have, like, three versions of Natalie Merchant's "Ophelia" and Death in June and Throbbing Gristle followed by a bunch of tatu and Britney so I mean, it's all a mystery.)
Gross. Dragonforce.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote