Music Banter - View Single Post - A Personal Video Game Award Ceremony - Presented by Kiiii - (2017 - Whenever)
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Key

My steam library is constantly updating and changing and many hours are put into many many games. 2018 has already been a pretty strong year when it comes to games, so I'd like to not only point out the games that I've loved from this year, but talk about the games that have taken up most of my time in 2018 already. Keep in mind, this doesn't necessarily mean the game HAD to be released in 2018, it's more about which games I enjoyed during the year so far.

Divinity Original Sin 2

This game not only took up so much of my time in late 2017, but it's also the reason I decided to really look into a gaming PC. My PC prior to the one I had could load Divinity Original Sin 2 sometimes. I finally invested into a PC and it's made such a world of difference. Not only have I gotten further in this new file but I've also made a powerhouse of a team. I'm beating enemies at least 2 levels above me sometimes. It feels really good. Still one of the best RPG's I've probably ever played, and I will stick to that opinion as long as I can.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Again, due to me getting a new PC, I've been able to play games that I haven't experienced before, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt falls into that category. So, holy ****, what a game. Not only is the combat a **** ton of fun, but the story is really strong. I've found myself actually caring about the characters in this game, and the cutscenes are absolutely breathtaking. This game is a piece of art in more ways than not. I will say that at first the combat is pretty tough to get used to, but once you get it, you realize how much fun it is to find hordes of enemies and fight them. Definitely a purely beautifully made RPG with open world elements.

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

I'm a little bit surprised to see myself putting this game on my list since I'm not been the biggest fan of the game as a whole. I feel like the community surrounding it is super toxic, and really gives the League of Legends community something to strive for in toxicity. However, recently I did start playing this, and I get it. The problem I have with Battle Royale games is that the matches are way too long, and Playerunknown's Undergrounds is no exception. I've found myself just straight up leaving matches because it goes too long. I know, it's idiotic. However, that also hasn't kept me away from the game, because when I'm enjoying the game for what it is, I really enjoy it, and for me to enjoy a Battle Royale game is a pretty big deal. I put a lot of time into H1Z1 and I think that game is still superior in some ways, but this game certainly does a good job and could take its place for a while. It definitely says something about the game when it's able to bring me back in even though I dislike a pretty evident part of the game. I'll keep going back though.

Turok 2: Seeds of Evil

Remember this game? It's ****ing great. And recently I came to find out that this game had a remastered copy on Steam. Little did I know the people in charge of this game went above and beyond what I expected. Not only are the controls much more refined, but the pace of the game really feels structured and dare I say, tough. I remember Turok 2: Seeds of Evil from the N64 days, and I genuinely enjoyed it back then. To see that the game got remastered and is on Steam today is certainly something to be excited about. I would highly recommend this game to anybody, and it's a game that took a lot of my time in 2017 and in my childhood. The levels can be long though, but other than that, the game is a staple in video gaming history.

Divinity Original Sin

Because of my infatuation with the sequel, I figured I'd put some time into the original title. And fortunately, I found a remastered copy on Steam for pretty cheap, and thus it began. Going from the second game to this was tough to stomach sometimes, since the second game genuinely came with some necessary improvements. But on its own merits, it holds up to today's standards I would say. The combat is a lot of the same as the second game, which made it really easy to just jump right into, and the story is told surprisingly well, and feels like it has a good pace. The only thing I did notice is that the game is much shorter than it's sequel, but I can't act like I'm surprised by that. I will say, I put a solid 23 hours into it, and I still had plenty to do before I finished it up. So if you're interested in a pretty decent story strong RPG for about 30-40 hours of your time, I'd highly recommend this.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote