Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Jordan: the Comeback" by Prefab Sprout
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Prefab Sprout occupy territory similar to that of Scritti Politti: high concept minded, emphasis on clever lyrics, state-of-the-art (for the time) production and led by wunderkinds with singular visions (in this case, priest-turned-popstar Paddy McAloon). Jordan: The Comback is uneven, but a lot of fun at its best moments.

I'm pretty familiar with this album, having revisited it periodically over the years, and despite McAloon's at times Brian Wilson-esque grasp of pop genius, this isn't a super accessible record either. Thomas Dolby's synths and approach to the tonal feel overall has a clinical, impersonal emphasis, but his meticulous approach elevates the best songs ('Looking For Atlantis', the title track, 'Machine Gun Ibiza', 'The Ice Maiden') and makes even the cloyest romanticism tolerable ('All The World Loves Lovers', 'One Of The Broken'). That said, the production is a love it or hate it affair (sampled horn synths in all their glory).

This is one of those albums where some trimming would have benefited things, but when you want to explore a mutltitude of different ideas (such as American identity, the nature of celebrity and religion, etc) you are bound to meander a bit. And it's not a bad thing at all.

8.5 out of 10

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote