Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Jordan: the Comeback" by Prefab Sprout
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 11:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

OK I found the album on YT and was somewhat relieved I that it was available. I click play and upon hearing "Looking for Atlantis" the very first thought I had was: Is this Scientology music? Was this song written by L Ron Hubbard? Then I start wondering did this album come with a free copy of Dianetics?

The guys voice is too subdued and whispery. And the music is like New Wave slow down to half speed and put through a deflavoring machine. However that holds true to a lot of music at this time, and it has to do with the synths available at the time, namely FM. Not that I hate FM synthesizers. But what marked the down fall of 80s music was the switch from analog to FM synthesizers. They were thin sounding. They didn't have the depth and warmth of analogy. I'm not knocking FM, you can coax some interesting sounds. I only mention that cause that is my problem with any music from this era. Whatever they used, there are parts on this album where it sounds like they were using a toy synthesizer on it.

Combine the placid music tone and the whispery lounge singer's voice and Scientology and/or Mormon themed lyrics only made it a slightly unnerving and uncomfortable experience when listening to this album.

... and if you any of you think this album equal to or is better than Blurred Crusade, I laugh at you!

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote