Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Nuevo Dia" by Lole y Manuel
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #38 (permalink)
grindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?

"Man, this is ****ing awesome."

2. What did you think of the opening track?

3. What did you think of the next track?

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions?

I think that they're both excellent vocalists but Lole Montoya is really something else. She's dynamic as **** and puts her all into the performance. I could imagine that if it was my first exposure to a wailing hispanic woman, I'd find the vocals pretty jarring too. It's unlike anything that I've ever heard tbh, the virtuosic vocals that sound natural and not imitative or overly practiced. On a melodic level alone she's amazing, so I suppose a lot of that goes to Manuel Molina since he's the songwriter. He does a great and empassioned vocal performance as well, gotta give him that.

OH, I don't think that she would sound better if her voice was more nasally.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not?

The music only generally appealed to me a lot. I'm not super familiar with flamenco (dame recomendaciones por favor), but this sounded incredibly innovative to me upon first listen. Since then, it's been getting a lot of spins if not a spot on my favourite records list.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?

It does dip a bit in the middle, but it closes on a really strong note.

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?

As far as I can tell, these are dark love songs. Idk. It sounds like there's a lot of nice imagery.

8. Did you like the instrumental parts?

**** yes I do Trollheart!

The guitars are dope as already mentioned with the dense way that they're stacked on top of one another. The classical flamenco percussion goes to some cool places, especially with the double clapping (could be castanets) on the track where Manuel sings. The mellotron definitely puts a timestamp on the record, but luckily it's used in a very understated way that doesn't sound as forced as someone like CamarĂ³n's music does.

9. What did you think of the production?

It's cool. Could be a bit cleaner and a toned down on reverb, but I'm not the kind of person who feels that they're entitled to "perfect" production.

10. Did you know of this artiste prior to listening to the album, and if so, did that foreknowledge colour your perception of this album?

When I first listened to it, it was because it was in the related artists section of Rosalia's Spotify page. I already enjoyed Rosalia quite a bit and she borrows quite a bit from Lole y Manuel, so that absolutely primed me for this record. I didn't really have any knowledge about Lole y Manuel in particular though.

11. Is this, generally, the kind of music you listen to or not?

I've been listening to a lot more flamenco/flamenco nuevo (I don't know the difference tbh) this year.

12. Assuming you listened to the album more than once, on repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?

The guitars are very dynamic and have a fluidity about their interplay that's insanely interesting upon repeated listens. I got wrapped up in the vocals on my first round and only recognized the other instrumentation on a surface level.

13. What would you class as your favourite track(s), if you have any?

Nuevo dia, Bularias de la Luna, y Sangre gitana y mora.

14. And the one(s) you liked least?

I love every track on this record, but if I had to pick one it would be Por primera vez.

15. If the album in question is a debut, did that fact allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated?

I didn't know that it was at the time. It doesn't really make a difference to me.

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing more from this artiste, if you have not heard any of their other material?

Their other stuff isn't on Spotify and I've been lazy about getting around to them, so yes. I haven't heard the most positive things about them though.

17. Were you surprised by your reaction - positive or negative - to the album?

I was surprised that I had found another great album. That's always a nice feeling.

18. Did the album end well?

**** yes it did Trollheart!

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?

They could have made more tracks (not for any reason except that I want more to listen to because I like it a lot). I would have liked to heard more bass, I thought that that was used very well when they implemented it. A standalone instrumental track would have been a welcome mid-album addition. I would have cut out the electric guitar on Todo es de color but it doesn't take away from the track.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?

It flows very well. This **** is great. I'm all about it. 5/5
Nasally what?