Music Banter - View Single Post - Listen with Trollheart
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 08:58 AM   #41 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

My Dearest Darkest Neighbor – Hurray for the Riff Raff (2013)
Genre: Americana/Folk/Blues

I came across these guys while doing my “Albums of 2017” thread and I really liked them, so, like most times when that happens, I went and got all their albums. This, then, is the second of theirs I've listened to. I think it's a little more low-key than The Navigator, but that came among so many hundreds of other albums I kind of have only a hazy recollection of it, other than remembering that I really liked it. Nice to hear them do Leadbelly's “Out on the Western Plain”, (they call it “Western Cowboy”) though I know it more through Rory Gallagher. Good song though. The first to up the tempo and kick some life into what was becoming, to be honest, a slightly downbeat and miserable album. Not that that's bad, but it's nice to hear them rock out a little, even if it ain't their song. Oh, and they do Lennon's “Jealous Guy” too. Lot of covers, in fact: Joni Mitchell, Elizabeth Cotten, Lucinda and Hank Williams, George Harrison. Hmm. Yeah, it's basically a covers album, with maybe two original tracks. Not sure I like that. I mean, it's okay, but not perhaps the best example of their work. Kind of a disappointment really.