Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #6038 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
I saw the new Star Trek (Discovery) and.. I really, really liked it. The characters (Jason Isaacs stole the show imo), the surprising plot ( fungi based transportation ? wuuut ?), I liked how it seemed they tried making it more "realistic", without completely discarding this whole Star Trek goofiness.
I liked it also because it triggered a ton of haters, that somehow "have always been fans of Star Trek" but now "can't stand all this homopropaganda" .. I'm no expert, but I know enough about ST to know it has always been on the cutting edge of social change, shocking people with things like the 1st interracial on screen kiss. And the federation is a communist utopia anyway :P
It had some great visuals as well. I was honestly surprised it was this fun to watch, especially after the Expanse - I was expecting a cheesy sjw piece of crap that only really uses the Star Wars setting to sell ideological talking points. I'm glad it was more balanced and less stupid than I anticipated, and since I experience schadenfreude where people with extreme views rage, it turned out to be a better source of fun than I thought.

And to be honest, i forgot about 12 monkeys. I watched the movie almost religiously, I think I saw it over 20 times, at least 15 of those times on a VHS And when I heard about the tv series, I was sure that even if they really tried, they couldn't even approach Gilliams level.
Was I wrong ?
Yeah I just hated the one/two episodes I saw. Can't quite explain it. Might have been something to do with the way they sort of re-engineered the Klingons. Not sure. But it didn't engage me at all (no pun intended; I couldn't remember the word).

I didn't see the 12 Monkeys movie, but I loved the series. Very dark, quite confusing until certain pasts/futures catch up with each other, and very well written, I found. Definitely worth a watch.