Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #22496 (permalink)
josht23musiclover
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
It’s certainly just a sometimes snack with me. I don’t know much about this composer but the Romantic flamboyance of like Liszt and Chopin is music I really only enjoy in moderation. It’s fun for a bit and then it starts to annoy me like Yngwie Malmsteen kind of showy wankerism. I get a little surly if a performer plays more than one showy Romantic piece. But... I can’t say that Alkan isn’t more tasteful because I honestly don’t know.
I've agreed with most of your posts in my short time here, but not this one: for most mature Liszt and most Chopin I don't think showiness is at all the point (or even present, granted a good performer), but rather they were both extremely original masters who greatly expanded the expressive capabilities of the instrument and used their discoveries to create previously unknown musical effects (and both also wrote works of a disarming simplicity). A work like this, for example, requires a virtuoso performer but none of the wonderful writing is for anything other than the musical/pictorial:

Of course, it's probably a simple matter of differing tastes here...

Last edited by josht23musiclover; 04-11-2018 at 10:21 AM.
josht23musiclover is offline   Reply With Quote