Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #22518 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
In general, maturation makes pop and rock music worse because it’s founded on juvenile rebelliousness. I know there are outliers but in general. It usually annoys me when party bands become conscientious.

I’ve been thinking a lot recently about why jazz musicians keep up the good work so much longer and that’s what I came up with.

Maybe it was obvious all along but I used to think that it applied to all musical genres that musicians peak in their 20’s. I thought it was strange that so much great literature is written by old ****s but not music. But it turns out, it’s only because it was a youth culture talent all along.
Well jazz and classic maturing is about actual musical innovation I suppose, whereas in general with rock and pop it's about proving that your genre can mature, which is self-important and defeats the purpose. The whole point of the latter two genres in the first place was to simplify music and make it accessible to a wider audience.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote