Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate grunge.
Thread: I hate grunge.
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #461 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sane Psycho View Post
To be fair, I feel like grunge was more of a scene or movement than it was an actual genre. The bands that were tagged as grunge were just too varied and dissimilar to be lumped in with a single genre. Bands like Nirvana, Mudhoney, and 7 Year Bitch were bands in the punk, garage rock, and noise rock tradition. Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Tad were straight up metal bands. Pearl Jam was a bluesy classic rock influenced band. The U-Men, Skin Yard, and Beasts Of Bourbon were really post-punky. Seaweed had a really post-hardcore/emo feel to it. Mother Love Bone and Malfunkshun were your hair bands. Then you had psychedelic rock bands like Screaming Trees, Love Battery, and Truly. The bands in the grunge movement just varied way too much to be considered one singular genre, in my opinion.
I get what you're saying, and tbh I know feck-all about grunge. It just amuses me that when someone points out a band that is, shall we say, considered to be part of the grunge scene, he immediately reacts by saying oh no I consider them to be hair metal. It's such a childish response, like saying I hate all prog bands - well what about Henry Cow? Oh they're not prog.

No, they may not necessarily be as such (being a RIO band) but they're still considered as part of the prog scene, and you can't say you hate prog but separate one or more bands out of it, calling them something else because it either doesn't fit with your narrative or, indeed, calls bull**** on it and shows it up to be the full-of-holes argument it is.