Music Banter - View Single Post - Micshazam's album and song picks
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #155 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
From the Choir Girl Hotel - Tori Amos

Okay, I'm going to stop here. I can't get past the basic aping by Amos of Bush. Her inflections, her pronunciations, her wails, her intakes of breath: it's all Kate Bush and I don't want to insult you by giving this a very biased review, so I'm going to pass on it. I doubt I'll listen to another Amos record. All through the first listen to this all I could think of was how much I would prefer to be listening to a Kate album. I'm sure it's not deliberate, but it's like she's capitalising on Kate's style to such an extent that she's a poorly watered-down copy of her, and I don't like that, even if it's only my own perceptions that are doing it. **** it: even her "quirkiness" seems put-on, as if she's read all there is to read about Kate and thought "I'll have some of that" or "It worked for her, so it'll work for me." I want the real thing, not a cheap and very obvious knock-off.

I'll do one of the other albums, but I'm passing on this.
Sorry.

Holy cow, that's not the reaction I was expecting. I know she rubs some people the wrong way, but still. Fair game anyway. While I don't quite see the Kate Bush aping, it's at least a bit easier to kinda understand what you mean with this particular album, as it plays up the arty poppiness a bit. I definitely feel like Tori very much has a singing voice all her own, with a distinct Southern twang that only seems to get more pronounced with age.

If you still want to do another, then that Helloween album, Better Than Raw would be fun to see your take on. For some reason, this album and the one before it are not on Spotify. It seems they belong to a label that have not agreed to the same contract as Nuclear Blast - who probably owns all of the other albums of the band at this point.

If you can't find a good quality upload on Youtube or elsewhere, I could upload it myself. Just let me know.

Last edited by MicShazam; 04-13-2018 at 03:19 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote