Music Banter - View Single Post - Worst band on earth?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #194 (permalink)
Don
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
And you're saying it like you cant be prog if you are mainstream.
No.

Quote:
Pink Floyd were one of the biggest bands in the world during the 70s, as were ELP, Yes and Jethro Tull...Prog was very mainstream until punk and new wave came along.
I know.

Quote:
The reason Dream Theater arent popular isnt because they dont have the mainstream sound, its because they arent doing anything new, as taented as they are, they use a lot of old tricks from the books of 70s metal and 70s prog without building their own sound, while Tool and TMV do borrow heavly from 70s prog, they do it while still maintaining their own identity, which Dream Theater havent done, to most people they are just another prog metal band...Also they just arent worth the hype IMO.
This is just plain wrong. I'm aware of your opinion but it just doesn't sit with me at all. I mean how can anyone say DT aren't original if you've heard like at least three of their albums? You've gotta either be insane or developed your irrational opinion after hearing like one album and then went: "Man I hate the singing and I'm cooler if I listen to Tool because to me they're more original." Please go and at least download all of their albums then come back to me.

PS: DT are extremely popular for a prog-metal band. They're numero uno.