Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate grunge.
Thread: I hate grunge.
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #614 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Time for me to school this guy on Walls of Text.

Everyone assumes you're a troll, and you probably are, but in case you're not (given your last post) here's the thing: you don't come into a forum and for your very first post write something as confrontational, simple and pointless as “I Hate Grunge”. This gives an immediate (perhaps wrong but certainly understandable) impression of you as either a) a kid with no sense b) an adult with no sense c) a troll or d) an idiot. You fail, in making that claim, to consider the reactions and feelings of those who love grunge, or at least don't hate it. You make enemies right away and you set up conflict with you as the general shared target. Just about everyone is against you, and you only have yourself to blame.

Had you come in with something like “Grunge isn't for me”, “I love Hair Metal”, “What do people think of grunge”, “I have this theory about Grunge” or any of a number of other, less inflammatory phrases, you might have engendered better reactions. Not only that, but as I pointed out to you, you're not talking to anyone. Even if you hold this view, and stick to it, you can only defend it by debating with people, and that does not mean repeating endlessly your experiences with Hair Metal, your vanished youth and your hatred for Grunge. You need to engage with people, discuss, talk, argue, accept/reject points, put your own forward, try to get some actual conversation going. If you came here to be a troll, well and good, and good luck to you, but if you came here to discuss music, as you say, and you're disappointed with your reaction, then I repeat, you only have yourself to blame for that.

Here's a typical proper debate here.
Member 1: “I hate jazz” (Okay, nobody would say that, even if they felt that way, but just for illustrative purposes, and to show that even with a confrontational opening you can get discussion going)
Member 2: “You're full of it.”
Member 1: “No, I really hate jazz. They can't play music.”
Member 2: Goes on to explain about Miles Davis, Charlie Parker and others.
Member 1: “Oh right, so it's not just all improvisational?”
Member 3: “It can be, but that's the beauty of jazz.”
Member 1: “I don't understand.”
Member 3: Explains

and so on. THAT's a conversation. What you're engaging in is not. And that's why nobody is taking you seriously, and why you appear not to be having a good time here. You still can, if you change your approach. It's up to you. First impressions last, but you can get past them if you make the effort.

Or you can keep being a troll. Up to you. Ball's in your court.