Music Banter - View Single Post - Comics/Graphic Novels
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #695 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
I blame Jamie Foxx goofy ass performance for their downfall. Him and Dennis Leary that joke stealing hack. I think this new iteration of Spider-Man brings a better dynamic to the marvel movies, that young pup comedic relief thing overall works better with the whole scheme of things. Over complicating this new spidey with boring adult drama would just lead to the old Tobey spidey movies so keeping him in that teenage time frame with a light hearted less dramatic tone is a good move imo.
The problem with Spider-Man movies is that they don't get how dark Spider-Man really was back in the day. Spider-Man was always all about the soap opera melodrama, but Peter Parker was a dark character who quipped to escape the miserable nature of his existence. It's a very subtle characterization to get right. He wasn't a boring emo loser, he was a high functioning autist with possible bipolar disorder. Many of his stories were dark and depressing, but never goofy and campy.

A lot of that characterization has been lost in modern times, but I'd love to see a truly representative version of the character from the 60s to the 80s.

Read early Spider-Man. The dude could go from friendly to hateful towards his friends and loved ones at the drop of a dime, and I imagine that was all due to his early characterization by Jack Kirby, who definitely comes across as autistic and possibly bipolar. Early Spider-Man was not exactly feel good. It was nerd literature for actual nerds by an actual nerd, with all the bitterness that that entails.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote