Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "The Noise Made By People" by Broadcast
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #35 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?

Initially, it gave me a real feeling of seventies Waits. The singer's voice was pleasant, though nothing terribly impressive I must admit.

2. What did you think of the opening track?

First track was good, sort of downbeat and set the tone for the album pretty much.

3. What did you think of the next track?

Also nice, kind of similar to the opener. A little boring.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions? (see note 1)
She was all right. Didn't love her, didn't hate her.

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not? (see note 2)

Yeah the music was nice, and there were some surprises

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?

Better

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?

Her vocal style was such that I kind of couldn't quite make out the lyrics, but I wasn't that bothered to go looking up a lyric sheet

8. Did you like the instrumental parts? (see note 3)

Very much. There were some really nice and weird touches in, for instance, “Minus One” (a full instrumental) which had very proggy chops and also a kind of Twilight Zone feel to it, and I love the riff in “Paper Cuts”, as well as the one in “You Can Fall”, to name just two others.

9. What did you think of the production?

n/a

10. Did you know of this artiste prior to listening to the album, and if so, did that foreknowledge colour your perception of this album?

No and no

11. Is this, generally, the kind of music you listen to or not?

I've listened to this kind of pop/synthpop before, yes

12. Assuming you listened to the album more than once, on repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?

Initially, more, but on the third listen I started to like it less. I began to get a little bored with it. And then on the fourth I got into it again. Now, I don't know. I think I like it more than I dislike it though.

13. What would you class as your favourite track(s), if you have any?

“Minus One”, “Come on Let's Go”, “Echo's Answer”, “Paper Cuts”, “You Can Fall” - pretty much everything after the first two tracks.

14. And the one(s) you liked least?

The first two, though I didn't hate them, just didn't like them as much as the rest of the album.

15. If the album in question is a debut, did that fact allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated? (see note 4)

n/a

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing more from this artiste, if you have not heard any of their other material?

Probably not. I wouldn't avoid it, but I wouldn't actively search it out

17. Were you surprised by your reaction - positive or negative - to the album?

Not really. Psy-Fi usually picks good albums.

18. Did the album end well?

Yes. I really like the closer. Had great atmosphere and really finished the album on a high note for me.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?

Not really. I mean, it's not brilliant, but I don't see anything that could be done to make it better. It's not that there's anything done wrong, just that I consider it a decent but unremarkable album.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?

Hard to say. I guess it held together okay.

Give this a good 7/10. No wait, 8/10. Yeah.