Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate grunge.
Thread: I hate grunge.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 03:04 AM   #686 (permalink)
Nick1976
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
*cough* batlord.*cough*

I think most kids nowadays are listening to trap or some sht like that. Every generation creates their own trends to follow and you can't have it any other way. You don't want it another way, believe me.

It's true that as we grow older we may not relate to modern musical and cultural trends but what we can do is relate to the fact that like them, we were once young and felt our generation needed its own identity.
IMO the early 1990's were the last good times for music. It all went to **** after 1993. YouTube and social media are also at fault. If Metal is to come once more into mainstream it needs to evolve into something less dark. Don't get me wrong but popular music is always one with kind of less tension, mind relieving vibe. Most of the people after hard day of work don't want to build up a rage, instead they want relaxation. Glam Metal was liked because of mostly sexual lyrics, and bluesy life stories in songs. Metal nowadays is psychological defense mechanism in which listener drowns worlds misunderstanding for him in hate and sadness in some cases. Many of modern metal music videos shows guy/girl picked up for being different, and at the end he/she take revenge for being pushed around by hurting or ultimately killing someone. I like real musicians that play instruments without auto tune,sampling,dubbing etc.To me most of the music on the radio is kiddie disney music or rap. I've met too many kids that have never heard of metal and call it "screamo."I believe the genre as a whole would be healthier if Metal had "some" solid mainstream presence (in the CURRENT pop culture... not bands that are primarily being listened to because they had such power decades ago). If we're being really honest, soundcloud/mumble rappers/trap/EDM are winning the pop culture war right now and it's having a distinct effect on the income a metal musician can expect these days. Glam metal used to have that role in the 80s and early 90s. I'm pretty sure it can happen again if someone is able to catch the zeitgeist. I will be amazed if EDM is around for ten more years, a remarkable lack of substance in that genre.
Nick1976 is offline   Reply With Quote