Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Metal Classics: "In Their Darkened Shrines" by Nile
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
The last few tracks aren't bad. I may listen to it again before I vote. There is a nice, as you mentioned, sort of eastern/Egyptian vibe to some of the music. I hate the vocals of course, but I think I could get into some of this music. Maybe.
The vocals aren't anything special tbh. They're not especially bad, just more death metal vocals you didn't need to hear but that do their job of existing as death metal vocals on a death metal album.

The big problem seems to be that you have decent brutal death metal (its own problem) and rather cool Egyptian sounding gimmicks but not really much to justify lumping them together. There's a pre-Nile band who actually do pretty much the same thing Nile do while doing much better to justify the juxtaposition.

I suspect that a key member(s) of Lykathea Aflame left the band before they became Nile and they could never quite get it down like they had before. Vocals are still meh, but they have a much greater melodic sense than Nile afaic.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 04-30-2018 at 01:36 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote