Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate grunge.
Thread: I hate grunge.
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #730 (permalink)
Nick1976
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriphiel View Post
C'mon, Nick. I love Hair Metal, but shit like Guns n Roses and Bon Jovi were just shitty knockoffs of Nazareth. They literally stole their whole sound from them, and made it wimpier. You go listen to Razamanaz and tell me that GnR didn't spend their whole careers jerking off to that shit.
Axl said Nazareths Love Hurts was the song that got him singing in his higher register. And he was also a fan of Grand Funk. Sang Bad Time before SCO'M at alot of the shows on the UYI tour. And i think GNR covered them in '85 or '86 also. Pretty sure Slash was a fan of UFOs Strangers album too. I know that UFO, Zepplin, Aerosmith, Sabbath were big influences on Slash but they were not the only ones. As far as the other guys there were many bands that influenced them to become interested in playing music. I know that Izzy had different kinds of influences some for the way the band looked and some for the way the band sounded. I guess you can say that the NY Dolls and Hanoi Rocks had something to do with the way Izzy used to look but in the end it was a mix or Rock Hard Rock Punk and blues that rubbed off on the guys and they each put in something that ended up being park of the puzzle that made GNR work the way they did.Blues rock was a key part in their sound, especially for Slash who idolised a lot of blues rock bands and artists. They’re songs on AFD have a punk energy around them (as well as the band’s 80s and early 90s attitude), but I wouldn’t consider them a punk rock band. Actually, their album THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT is a significantly punk rock cover album. They blended a lot of different styles, pulling from the Stones, Alice Cooper, FEAR, the Crue, Aerosmith, Dillon. Slash played blues, Duff was a punk guy, Izzy had some folk influence, and Axl… well it depended on the day, but he idolized Copper and Jagger, but even consulted Skynard albums to find the right feel for his tracks.
Nick1976 is offline   Reply With Quote