Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 08:35 PM   #10832 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Jokes are verboten
^ First off, nothing wrong with jokes. I don't think I suggested there was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I will now expect you to come down on anyone who makes fun of Donald Trump's hair or fake tan.
^ Secondly, men find it pretty easy to shrug off jokes about their appearance, because they are typically judged by other standards. Also, they don't typically spend time choosing earings, putting on make up to try and look their nicest. Being judged on appearances and not merit is a much more sensitive issue for women.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Here is her joke: She burns facts and she uses that ash to create a perfect smokey eye.

Sounds more like criticism of her dishonesty coupled with a reference to her makeup. This is being breathlessly reported because news is kind of slow, don't give into the hype. This is a non-story and honestly, the comedian was incredibly tame.
^ My guess is that the other SHS joke was more hurtful. The one that said she looked like a character on tv deliberately presented as being cruel and ugly.

My complaint is this: SHS was invited as a guest, sat in full public view without a microphone to defend herself, then insulted to her face for being ugly. To me it's those circumstances that make the joke so cruel, and yes, Michelle Wolf is a comedian, but is that really a carte blanche to say what you like where you like without regard to people's feelings ?

This guy's a comedian too. Does that make this ok?

Finally, quite right, in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty small news item, but long term it's undermined the press's stance of criticizing the pettiness of Trump's tweets, etc. Next time pundits complain that Trump said, "She's too ugly to tempt me into sexual abuse," every GOP lackey has been given a comeback; "The Whitehouse Correspondent's Association countenanced an attack on SHS's looks so don't be hypocritical."