Music Banter - View Single Post - Evil
Thread: Evil
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2018, 03:08 AM   #30 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
What in the OP convinced you I was joking? Nothing. Did I put this in the jokes subforum? No, I did not. So why would you think I was anything other than 100 percent serious?

It's only surface level if you see it that way. There's plenty of discussion to be had.

Seriously, just go **** yourself. Have another Steel Reserve, or whatever it is you're using to reduce what's left of your brain to mush.

The inherent question that everyone's ignoring or missing here is: why are certain things considered evil? Is it because of our religious upbringing? Is it because we're conditioned to accept it is? Is it because the majority, back in the mists of time, said it was? And what happens if that definition, the acceptance of what is evil changes?

If Hitler had won WWII or, if that's a tired concept (and of course it is) say ISIS succeed at some point in making this Earthistan, a global Islamic caliphate. Things that seem, and are, evil to us will not be so to them, and so the whole concept of evil may, over time, change. Execution for blasphemy? Evil now, here, yes. Under ISIS? We may learn to change our minds and accept that maybe it isn't. The rules are set by those in charge, so what if those in charge decided evil was ok? Look at the Purge movies. Sure, they're fantasy, but don't they demonstrate that, on some level, we only don't do evil because we're not allowed to, because we'll be punished if we do? If the penalty is removed, if we can kill, rape etc, is it still evil? Is government-sponsored murder on a wide scale evil? Of course it is. But why? What makes it evil, and who says it is?

It can all be a matter of perspective, as I hinted in the OP which everyone chose to ignore or laugh at. The Crusaders believed they were on God's work but the Moors and the people they butchered saw them as evil. Islam seems Christianity and any other religion as evil, for a long time Christianity was the same. Yeah, I know: **** religion. I agree. But it just shows that one man's perception of evil can be another's idea of good.

So I think there's a lot to discuss, including how certain things, actions, ideas came to be seen as evil, and what the very nature of evil itself is.

You know, it's a real pity. There are some incredibly intelligent people here - I don't count myself as one of them - and I've seen unbelievably deep and profound arguments discussed and debated in threads here, so it's sad that everyone is just passing up this opportunity to have a proper philosophical discussion, and would rather just laugh at my thread. But fine, do that: maybe we should intensely debate what the best cereal is, or who has the finest ass in music. I just thought it might be nice to use those juicy chess club brains some of you have, and debate something worthwhile.

Obviously not. I'll let you all get on with your day now. I have a new printer to set up anyway.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote