Music Banter - View Single Post - Good Bad Or Indifferent Janis Joplin
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 06:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
But she had a great band and a beyond great voice. I’m not trying to claim it has aged better than it really has but there’s a time and place element there. It was performed with swaying around and passing a joint in mind. I’m old enough to have seen the Grateful Dead. In the bootlegs it sounds like they’re just kind of kicking around waiting to lock into the next song but actually being there was awesome. The Dead had a huge repertoire of great tunes to create the magic but Janis had a mind blowingly powerful voice that I’m sure was ****ing spine chilling live.
^ Yes, me too on all your points, including Grateful Dead live (at the "Ally Pally" in London) . Of course the time and place argument applies to any musical performance. For about a year, a friend of mine used to get complementary tickets to classical concerts and he took me along a few times. Watching those violinists and orchestra playing away, they almost tricked me into enjoying classical music. Bastards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle salty View Post
If anything, I feel kinda bad for her. She seemed lost.
^ Yes like Amy Winehouse she just seemed bewildered by her own success.