Music Banter - View Single Post - Racism (Yeah, that's right: I'm callin' it!)
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 01:58 PM   #567 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

There are a few problems with knackers (you have to call them travellers - though they don't ****ing travel! - or itinerants if you don't want to get into trouble): first off, they don't seem to be poor. The big knackers families are like Mafia or gangland. They all have **** tons of money. Yet they choose to live as they do. Put them in a house, or a halting site, and all hell breaks loose. They just have their own way of living and they do NOT compromise. At a knacker wedding it's considered dull if there aren't at least three punch-ups and a stabbing! Then there's the ones who come around selling various items you do NOT want, and who will not take no for an answer. Typical conversation:

Door bell rings, often hammering on the door precedes or follows this. Door opens.
"Ah good mornin' boss (they always call you boss), would you like to buy some [insert product: carpet, DVDs, perfume, knife set, pillows etc]? Only twenty euro."
"Ah, no thanks."
"Good quality stuff it is, boss. Cost fifty in the shops."
"No, I'm really not -"
"Fifteen then. Fifteen euro. Givin' them away."
"No I don't want -"
"Ten then. Sure what can ye get for ten euro today? Look at that quality, boss!" etc etc
"No. Look, I don't want it."
"Five then. What d'ye have in yer wallet?"
Door slams in face. It's the only way to get rid of them.
If knackers were salesmen in the real world we'd all end up buying their crap. And you don't want to to give real offence and then have a gang of them visit you, so you have to be polite, but firm.