Music Banter - View Single Post - I hate grunge.
Thread: I hate grunge.
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #776 (permalink)
Nick1976
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaySkeptic View Post
Grunge isn't even a real genre. It's just a bunch of different sounding alt rock bands that also kept classic/traditional rock/heavy metal/punk rock/whatever in their sound, which made most of them not even sound alternative. It just sounds like a modern take on traditional types of rock (often serveral types combined). I mean I know genres are marketing ploys but **** this one takes the crown.
I agree with you. I have never considered Grunge as a true genre. The actual music made by "grunge" bands is not easily or consistently distinguished from bands in the wider rock genre. It was all thrown into the more comprehensive ¨alternative¨ bag later in the 90s. It was a fashion description that got transferred to the music to make it easier on lazy magazine writers and marketing departments. That the term came to describe almost any band from Seattle was a bit ridiculous. None of them sounded the same. I mean, Alice In Chains had next to nothing in common with bands like Nirvana or Pearl Jam. We keep forgetting/ignoring how Rock was reduced to being on life support thanks to Grunge. Celebrate the death of "hair metal" all you want but in the process Rock was reduced to a status it has yet to recuperate from commercially and artistically. Not something I want to celebrate.
Nick1976 is offline   Reply With Quote