Music Banter - View Single Post - Celebrities You Hate
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 01:10 PM   #102 (permalink)
Cuthbert
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You're not Irish so it doesn't apply to you. I was just illustrating a point, not asking you to participate.

Irish fans: best in the world.
True story: fans arrived in Paris I think it was. Loud, happy, bit rowdy but nothing bad. Came across this woman with a flat tyre. Lads all pile out, change the tire and off they go. Welcome from Ireland. That's the way to make your mark when you're on tour.

I don't think there have ever been any instances of Irish fans getting in trouble, getting arrested, anything like that. Nearest thing to anything controversial was one idiot who fell over a plant on national TV. Made him a minor star.
I think there was trouble at Euro 88 involving Ireland, they were playing England though. Been loads involving Celtic fans as well, OK not the ROI national team but they seem to think they're Irish.

The ROI supporters are OK.

Quote:
People love the Irish. I remember when my ma was making her first/only/last trip across Europe a short while before she passed away, and she said everyone who met them said "English?" But when she, Karen and my aunt shook their heads and said "Irish" everyone perked up. "OH Irish! Welcome!"
Nobody likes us and we don't care

But I understand it. 70s, 80s and 90s they did not behave well in Europe. Hooliganism, the English disease. You no doubt remember Landsdowne Road in 1995 TH. France 98 was a real turning point and the fan base changed. Used to be shaven heads and Aquascutum, now it's quiffs and knight costumes. They are a bit better now, but occasionally you still see violence and once you have that reputation its hard to get rid of.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote