Music Banter - View Single Post - Celebrities You Hate
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 03:11 PM   #129 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
That's not a thing here, I can only think of one that has done that. If the 'franchise' is moving around to other places then that removes that argument but mine has played at its current home since the 1800s as have many others. For most they carry the name of the city, have always played there and will never move, so that is more than a band would do.
It's true. When Wimbledon (as they were at the time) relocated to Milton Keynes there was ructions. They eventually changed their name to MK Dons. It just doesn't happen. Teams may move to a new stadium but almost always remain in the city/town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
How does some guy from Spain who doesn't give a **** about Birmingham aside from liking the checks he gets stroked for playing for your team carry the name of the city?
You know nothing about English football. A Spanish guy coming to say Man City, Villa or any other team will become part of the whole ethos of the team, one of the lads, a regular fixture in the town, at the pubs, the night clubs, special events. They're not just there for the money. They get invested in the city, often financially.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man like Monkey View Post
Tourism money for one. People overseas tend to care more than we do.
Okay good point, I guess. Still doesn't, for me, justify the vast sums of money they get and the properties they inherit for doing nothing but being born into that family.