Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Colours" by Adam F
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2018, 05:20 AM   #23 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
I beg to differ. How can you not like Tracey Thorn on 'The Tree Knows Everything' or the cruisy title track? This isn't some generic techno: it explores a variety of styles outside its core genre and explores some fairly compelling melodic territory in the process. I don't know why you're such a stickler about something like this yet can praise comparatively abstract hip-hop or generic K-pop.

Medium - Adam F  ā€”  Colours. The story behind the best drum ā€™nā€™ bass album of the 90s
Strangely, I don't remember reading this post, or else I skimmed it, so when Shaz quoted it I was like "wtf?" Now I'll respond to the bolded bit.

First, I'm not a "stickler" for "something like this", but I do have to admit I don't know what you're referring to. Not liking techno music? Boring music? Wallpaper music? Not sure how, if that's what you mean, I could be considered a "stickler" for any of that. What I am a stickler for is music I enjoy, music that holds my attention, music that moves me (one way or the other) and music I look forward to either coming back to or expanding upon.
This ticked none of those boxes.

I already wrote how I found it boring and really couldn't wait for it to end. I've also written I'm no fan of techno, but if you look through my defunct Albums of 2017 thread you'll see that I listened to, and was impressed by, some techno albums I came across. This was not one of them, and they were in general a lot more engaging than this one.

As for hip-hop? I've hated/been bored by plenty of the hip-hop I've listened to, but I've also been very impressed by a lot of it, which I did not expect to be. I do however try to give everything a chance. K-pop?? Where are you coming from with that? I pretty much hated/was bored by most of the slew of K-pop I ended up listening to, the only good thing being that the girl bands had cute voices and some good songs, but mostly it was copy-and-paste generic crap. So I would not consider myself a fan of K-pop, and since I closed the thread I have not touched a K-pop album, nor do I think I will.

Maybe this is a bad example of the genre (though you seem to think it's the pinnacle) so if you want, outside of the club structure, rec me one or two more albums (not by him) in the same vein and I'll see if I can get anything from them. But I won't be changing my mind on this one. For me, the only "colours" I heard were grey and a pale, wishy-washy beige.

Sorry, but Adam can F off.