Music Banter - View Single Post - Nathanblake719 babbles about bands he doesn't like
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #99 (permalink)
Chula Vista
Toasted Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Do you like the song Ripple?
Just listened to the studio version.

I mean, competent song. Got all of that GD "Americana" vibe going for it. But.... The chord progression is as old as dirt. Singing is sloppy. Doesn't float my boat one bit.

This song represents what I don't get about the Dead. They created this stew of folk, gospel, country, American rock and pop, a bit of shuffle and ragtime, and other stuff on their studio albums and wrote some cool tunes (just not my cup of tea). Then live they'd take the songs and try and expand them with jams. If you were wasted and in the audience it would work. But listening to them at home they were mostly a mess. Aimless is the word I'd use. **** worked about 50% of the time. Maybe less.

Now take Zep's "No Quarter". Studio version was 7 minutes long and sounded like nothing before it. Please explain to me what genre they borrowed from back in 1972 when they recorded it. Totally original. Then live, the song could be anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes long with tons of jamming, but the band would return to key motifs to keep the "song" intact. Opposite of aimless.

Laundry is done. Time to fold and put away.

“The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well,
on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away
and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.”
Chula Vista is offline   Reply With Quote