Music Banter - View Single Post - Nathanblake719 babbles about bands he doesn't like
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 05:32 AM   #208 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank. View Post
Yeah, he doesn't know punk like us. Check out this punk band, I think you're gonna like it:

Ban this man for posting obscene videos! I can feel my lunch coming back up....
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sane Psycho View Post
Please enlighten me, oh pretentious one. I need your annoying punker than thou attitude to guide me out of my foolishness.
Oh this is elph all over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
they usually just get called Rock, christ

until you had prog and punk, and finally fully electronic pop, pop and rock were just interchangeable

but if we take "pop" to mean popular again, you have the fact that Ramones were about as popular as the other (American) first wave punk bands, that is, not at all
Nah that's Worship Music, mate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Genre terms aren't perfect. They're just supposed to help with categorization.

Most music stores I've been to that had genre sorting put Lady Gaga, Led Zeppelin, Abba and punk in the same larger category of pop/rock, then usually separate sections for blues, classical, jazz and metal. One big record store chain that doesn't exist anymore also had an indie category.

In academic terms, both Cannibal Corpse and Britney Spears are simply "popular music", with differentiation only applied between blues, jazz, classical and various kinds of traditional and avant garde music (I think they might also consider electronic music and country separate categories).
This makes sense from a certain perspective, since the only differences between death metal and dance pop, for example, are stylistic. There's a reason why it's so easy to convert a pop song into a metal song, a rock song into disco, etc.
Oh can you imagine the collab?
Quote:
It's a pie that you can slice in many different ways, depending on your needs and what distinctions you care to make.
Again...
Spoiler for NSFW (Not Safe For Wimps):

Quote:

I might be wrong.
Oh if more people here believed this it would be such a better place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sane Psycho View Post
1. The Fastbacks are pretty lofi, but they're undeniably pop punk. Same with Green Day before Dookie. Same with Four Minute Mile era Get Up Kids.

2. To answer your question, I don't think there is a such thing as just "pure" punk.
What about Hardcore Punk? Would that not be "pure" punk? Remembering that I know about as much about punk as I do about quantum physics...