Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club: "Other Voices | Other Rooms" by Nanci Griffith
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
This album has been an interesting experience, on one hand i got a bit bored of it at first cause it was too country but on the other hand, i kinda loved it. Almost instantly i found her . voice very charming and at some points she sings with this sweet country twang i found adorable. I saw OH and Neapolitan mention these are covers so it's this like a "Nanci sings all the country greats" kinda album? I mean idk anything about this girl or country in general but i found like 5 songs in this album i really like. Turn Around, This Old Town, Speed of The Sound of Loneliness (lol) and my 2 fav tracks, From Clare to Here and Boots of Spanish Leather.

This album quickly grew on me and it still is, so I'm giving an 8/10 loved it. Good pick TH.
Glad you enjoyed it after your initial poor impression of her, Francis. Yeah these are songs that are important to her, artists that she admires and in some cases worked with, in others just influenced her work. It's interesting that you liked her voice; one thing about Nanci is you either love or hate her voice, as it's very distinctive and I feel could turn a lot of people off. Anyway glad you found something to enjoy in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
These are folk songs.
Oh folk off!