Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Bowie Classics: "Aladdin Sane"
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 07:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

This was the last Bowie album I bought, and I agree with MicShazam - too many straight forward rock 'n' roll tracks. That's the problem with the Stones cover too. Why did DB choose such a basic, hackneyed, repetitive song ? After all, much has been made of Bowie's eclectisism, which makes choosing a Stones Number One hit from a few years previous all the more disappointing.

Drive in Saturday and Panic in Detroit were my favourites, plus the title track and Lady Grinning Soul. The last is excellent, and I loved the line about "cool canasta", but the whole song is too much of an uncomfortable mood shift imo. Instead of Let's Spend The Night Together with its good old rocker emphasis, he should've chosen a more nuanced song that could've served as a bridge from one mood to the other.

For the rest, I feel that Bowie is trying too hard for effect, but not trying hard enough to come up with interesting songs.

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 05-21-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote