Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #11088 (permalink)
Maajo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Lisna, the whole reason I shared that Tokyo Rose vid was to illustrate that McCain embellished his time as a POW. It throws that whole narrative you cited on Wikipedia into question. What he told officials in government privately and the story that was sold to the American people don't completely line up. As far as I'm concerned, he and the government puffed up the story to distract from his war crimes + the fact he likely sang like a bird to his captors before any torture was actually done to him (assuming we take his own account at face value, which I don't).

Trump is fundamentally right about him even if you don't align with that sentiment.
I had to go and see what this was all about, but honestly the answer seems to be exactly what my initial thoughts were on this: it's easier to criticize a soldier than it is to be in the hands of someone who has complete control over your food and water supplies, and is withholding necessary medical services that could keep you alive. From what it sounds like, McCain refused initially to admit to his war crimes, but was ultimately put in a position where he had no choice but to. He gave his personal information most likely because they were withholding food, water, and possibly sleep among other things. While it's possible that he did embellish in the truth about what happened in Vietnam, I'm skeptical to believe that simply because records corroborate so much of it. Trump calling him on it, as a draft dodger with bone spurs, is a little bit difficult to look past as well.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote