Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 07:40 AM   #11098 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maajo View Post
To be fair, it's more like expecting 0 drunk driving incidents in a state where it's illegal to buy, sell or consume alcohol. Numbers would drop significantly, but there would still be the odd one. So, yes the laws are effective if they're enforced on a large scale and not just in certain counties or regions of a state/nation.
^ Thanks for your comment about the effectiveness of gun laws, Maajo. It's good to see you posting again!

If I might clarify a small point, I wouldn't take the expression "gun laws" to mean that "it's illegal to buy, sell or consume." In Britain, the gun laws mean that it's very difficult to own a gun: you are subject to background checks and can only apply for a gun for purposes like hunting. If you are allowed a gun you are registered in a national database and required to keep the gun in a locked cabinet except when you, the licenseholder, are using it. There's no passing the gun around to your unbalanced children as seems to happen in American families. Also, you are unlikely to be permitted a gun in a city, and self-defense isn't considered a valid reason. But if you comply with all the above, you're good to go - and happy hunting!

__________________________________________________ __________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'm suggesting that any soldier serving in any war is a war criminal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Agree
^ I suspect that "war criminal" was a term that came into being at the Nurenburg trials when various people were found guilty of "crimes against humanity." The Western Allies had been deeply shocked by what they found in the concentration camps and felt it was necessary to make a moral distinction between regular soldiering and what the soldiers implementing the Final Solution were doing.

According to your suggestion, there's no moral difference between the Allied soldiers who liberated the Jews from Dachau, and the Nazi soldiers who put them there. As OccultHawk says that a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I'd find some photos:-

Spoiler for Dachau inmates liberated by "war criminals":

__________________________________________________ __________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
the Chinese didn't enter this War until the US pushed all the way to their border at MacArthur's command
^ I think it's accepted now that MacArthur over-reached himself and provoked the Chinese response. Yeah, in retrospect, he should've stopped at the 38th parallel, but that doesn't detract from what Chula's dad did, and as Neapolitan has convincingly demonstrated, there are 30 million South Koreans who are glad that Chula's dad made so much effort on their behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Got a long time buddy who lives in Hawaii. This is the view from his back yard.

^ That's a great pic, which seems to be half photo and half watercolour. I hope you friend stays safe.