Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 08:18 AM   #11100 (permalink)
Maajo
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Thanks for your comment about the effectiveness of gun laws, Maajo. It's good to see you posting again!

If I might clarify a small point, I wouldn't take the expression "gun laws" to mean that "it's illegal to buy, sell or consume." In Britain, the gun laws mean that it's very difficult to own a gun: you are subject to background checks and can only apply for a gun for purposes like hunting. If you are allowed a gun you are registered in a national database and required to keep the gun in a locked cabinet except when you, the licenseholder, are using it. There's no passing the gun around to your unbalanced children as seems to happen in American families. Also, you are unlikely to be permitted a gun in a city, and self-defense isn't considered a valid reason. But if you comply with all the above, you're good.
True, and that's the thing is that it's so easy to own a gun in America and there are just so many of them here that you're virtually guaranteed to be able to access one. I saw a statistic that said there are 102 guns per 100 citizens in the United States, and the next closest nation to us in that stat was Serbia or Slovenia at 55. Countries like Germany and Canada have about 30-35, and they see significantly reduced gun violence numbers and I think that's what we should aim for.
Maajo is offline   Reply With Quote