Music Banter - View Single Post - MB Bowie Classics: "Low"
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Finally a Bowie album I can get downright excited about!
Low has a lot of things going for it. I think it follows up on Station to Station very well, going even deeper in attempting to redefine and flesh out Bowie's sound.
Eno adds a lot of character to the sonic side of things, but the songs themselves also feel fresh and like they promise great things on the horizon for Bowie's creative output. I like the mostly slightly odd vocal passages, like in "Breaking Glass" and "What in the World".
The instrumental side of the album is gorgeous and at times quite wonderful to listen to.

The album is varied to the point of being stylistically inconsistent, but I don't mind at all. It's as if Bowie was trying on a range of shoes, attempting to imagine what his next sound and image could be, then just decided to keep all the best results. The album works really well as an "album experience" and I'm not bored a single second. Sometimes even quite moved or taken by the energy present in several of these cuts.

A surprisingly easy 5/5.

An attempt at deciding on my favorite tracks: "Breaking Glass", ""Sound and Vision", "A New Career in a New Town", "Warszawa".

_Previous ratings:__________________

(Rated on a scale relative to only Bowie's own discography, where 1 means the worst he's done and 5 means the best he's done.)
David Bowie: 1/5
Space Oddity: 2/5
The Man Who Sold The World 4/5
Hunky Dory 3/5
The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust 3/5
Aladdin Sane 3/5
PinUps 2/5
Diamond Dogs 2/5
Young Americans 1/5
Station to Station 4/5
Low 5/5
Heroes