Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 05:46 AM   #11161 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Totes. I never said that war criminals couldn't have a cool life, good ideas, or meaningful influence. Their decision to be a part of the military is amoral because of the horrors of war that it entails and the acceptance of those horrors that their involvement perpetuates.
^ Well that has the merit of consistancy at least! "Totes":

Quote:
Unfounded allegations of murder? I define murder as killing a human being. What do you think happens in war?
^ Let's be aware that, afaik, there is not a single country or legal system that agrees with your definition. Although I have little sympathy with them, even those hallowed guardians and guides to morality, the organised religions, usually* distinguish between killing people in armed combat and killing people outside of armed combat.
* Yes, some religions, e.g. Buddhism, take a different position.

Also, for every immoral war of aggression, isn't there, of necessity, a corresponding war of defense in which the morality is more, er, defensable? While many men (perhaps yourself included) are honourable pacifists, there comes a point at which most people prefer to take up a gun to protect what is theirs.
( In Britain, during times of conscription, this point was neatly summed up like this: any conscripts displaying a reluctance to take up arms were asked this question- "If you saw an armed soldier raping your sister, what would you do?" Anyone who thought they would resort to violence was not thereafter considered a pacifist. )
__________________________________________________ _________________

In more pressing news, isn't anyone else alarmed that the US is edging ever closer to a constitutional crisis? The much-vaunted devision of power seems to be under threat and the "system of checks and balances" is not checking or balancing any longer. Trump is demanding that the DOJ reveal info which will damage their ability to do their job, not just now, but permanently. The Dems aren't being given so much as a seat at the table, and the bulk of the GOP are silent on Trump's escalating abuses of power. As one guy said, in the face of acknowledged Russian meddling, the GOP are not defending the country, they are defending Trump.