Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #11181 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
When has the US ever gone to war because "it's the right thing to do"? It costs massive resources to fund a war, they ain't going unless they are getting something out of it. The people who serve in the military are the puppets who enable this.

You may view some of the things these soldiers aided in as helpful and good, but that doesnt negate the above, which I think is what Frown and other like minded people are arguing.

The US is analogous to the "friend" who helps you if you pay them, with the soldiers being the help? Idk, haven't put much thought into the analogy or where/if it falls apart, feel free to critique it.
^ First, I'd like to compliment you on this post, which has a scattering of questions, "I think"s and "Idk"s. It sounds friendly, and clearly shows that you're inviting discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwnWthVwls View Post
Yes, true. I don't think you are from the US, but this is how it is taught:

https://www2.ivcc.edu/rambo/tip_form...ting_voice.htm

I can find more examples if you'd like.
^ This post seems to pre-suppose that the rules for an essay in college are the same as the rules for posting on MB. I believe that the formats, situations and goals are different enough to require significantly different writing styles. I think it's a mistake to just cut and paste a rule from one and apply it to the other.

For example, a college essay will often specifically request an opinion, in which case the rules you quote are perfectly valid and a bunch of "In my opinions" are indeed just re-stating the obvious.

Here on MB, though, it's different: often, we are not replying to a question that has invited our opinion or comment, we're just spontaneously volunteering something. In this case, it is useful to know if we are volunteering something we regard as a fact or if it's just our opinion. Sometimes it's clear enough anyway, but not always.

Also, on MB I think the most constructive posts are the ones that ask questions and encourage dialogue, which is best done by offering an opinion. And if a dialogue begins, the purpose of our writing is even furthur removed from the college essay and should clearly allow for differences of opinion. In this context, the bald statement of an opinion as if it were a fact can sometimes appear confrontational.

How differently would you feel about reponding to these posts, I wonder:-

Quote:
Hendix is crap.
Quote:
Hendrix is crap imo.
My instinct is to simply ignore the first or to immediately engage in a slanging match, but perhaps I'm an out-of-touch pedant compared to you guys and you don't sense much difference between the posts.

__________________________________________________ ___________

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MERIT] View Post
#QuotedForTruth

The only LEGIT war was the Revolutionary War to gain freedom from The Crown, and that was before we were even a "country." So you are correct.
^ Following Frownland's idea, America's independence was only wrested from The Crown by a bunch of war criminals.