Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #11198 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ First, I'd like to compliment you on this post, which has a scattering of questions, "I think"s and "Idk"s. It sounds friendly, and clearly shows that you're inviting discussion.

^ This post seems to pre-suppose that the rules for an essay in college are the same as the rules for posting on MB. I believe that the formats, situations and goals are different enough to require significantly different writing styles. I think it's a mistake to just cut and paste a rule from one and apply it to the other.

For example, a college essay will often specifically request an opinion, in which case the rules you quote are perfectly valid and a bunch of "In my opinions" are indeed just re-stating the obvious.

Here on MB, though, it's different: often, we are not replying to a question that has invited our opinion or comment, we're just spontaneously volunteering something. In this case, it is useful to know if we are volunteering something we regard as a fact or if it's just our opinion. Sometimes it's clear enough anyway, but not always.

Also, on MB I think the most constructive posts are the ones that ask questions and encourage dialogue, which is best done by offering an opinion. And if a dialogue begins, the purpose of our writing is even furthur removed from the college essay and should clearly allow for differences of opinion. In this context, the bald statement of an opinion as if it were a fact can sometimes appear confrontational.

How differently would you feel about reponding to these posts, I wonder:-

My instinct is to simply ignore the first or to immediately engage in a slanging match, but perhaps I'm an out-of-touch pedant compared to you guys and you don't sense much difference between the posts.
I personally don't make much effort to underline that my talk about music is opinion. It's safe to assume that basically all of it is. My head is not inflated enough that I think my take on a band is the final word on the matter.

I'm in the camp that thinks "in my opinion" is superfluous much of the time. If I was discussing something like ethics and politics, I'd make much more sure to underline what I believe to be fact and what's my personal take.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote